Several Twitter users immediately took Enes Kanter Freedom to task after the Boston Celtics center seemingly referred to Jeremy Lin as Taiwanese instead of American.
“How disgusting of you”: Freedom, 29, took to Twitter on Sunday to call out Lin, 33, for playing in the Chinese Basketball Association and not standing with Taiwan.
- “Shame on you @JLin7. Haven’t you had enough of that Dirty Chinese Communist Party money feeding you to stay silent?” Freedom wrote. “How disgusting of you to turn your back against your country & your people. Stand with Taiwan! Stop bowing to money & the Dictatorship. Morals over Money brother.”
- Twitter users were quick to correct Freedom in his tweet by pointing out that Lin is a Taiwanese American and was born in Torrance, California.
- Freedom’s call-out came days after Lin, a point guard, announced that he would be returning to the Chinese Basketball Association to play for the Beijing Ducks in the 2021-22 season after failing to find a team in the NBA.
- “Playing basketball in China feels at home,” the Taiwanese American player said. “Thanks all fans for the support, and I am looking forward to the second and third phase of this season.”
- Other responses to Freedom’s tweet: